Saturday, March 20, 2010

Abominable Snowmen!

A few months ago, Susan took a page out of my “everyone deserves a sabbatical” handbook and up-and-moved to Vail, Colorado. She was let go from her job at American Capital Investments in mid-November and given a generous severance package, so she decided to make a reality of her dream to spend a ski season in Vail.

She quickly found a terrific condo, a job as a children’s ski instructor in Beaver Creek, CO, and a temporary renter for her apartment in D.C. By New Year’s Day, she was on a plane and living the high life in the high country. For her 31st birthday, she invited Tiffany Weaver and I for a weekend in Vail and it was so much fun. It almost didn’t happen because the night before I was to leave from Pittsburgh, the weather reports were calling for a massive storm to hit the front range and the mountains. But, I ended up flying into Denver with no problems, and Tiffany and I were able to do the drive from Denver into Vail with virtually no problem (thanks to her 4-wheel drive!).We had a lazy weekend that was highlighted by Susan’s birthday present – a two-hour snowmobile tour – which was so much fun! I had no idea that snowmobiling was such a kick in the pants!The three of us arrived at the location having bundled up in our long underwear, wool socks, boots, ski pants, ski parkas, gloves and hats. As soon as we arrived and check in with the instructors, we were directed to the safety tent, where we were not only outfitted with helmets, but also enormous full- body ski suits, which we were told to put over our ski pants, ski parka, etc. All three of us immediately looked like we weighed 300 lbs and we could not pull it together.Tiffany kept complaining that her suit made her look heavy because it didn’t have a belt like the suits worn by Susan and me. The two of us were doubled over, as if our “belts” helped the situation or made us look any slimmer!

When we walked over to our designated snowmobiles, we received instructions from our tour guide and we immediately freaked because the instruction went something like this: “This is your accelerator and this is your brake. Be sure to keep your feet on the platforms and follow me.”

Ahhh, I’m going to need a little bit more than that.

The three of us were beside ourselves giggling as we tried to drive these enormous machines, but after about 10 seconds we got the hang of it and LOVED every minute of the two –hour tour across snow fields and through beautiful snow-covered pine trees.
It’s a definite must do again! After our snowmobile tour, the three of us went back to Vail Village and Lion Head, where we wandered around the shops (my dream is to be able to afford something in the store Gorsuch!), ate really yummy pizza and took the gondola to the top of the mountain. Every time I go to Vail, I’m reminded of how much I love it!I think I’m going to have to figure out a way to get back there soon!