Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!

For weeks, I'd been looking forward to spending Easter weekend with Sawyer. I wanted to dye eggs, make cookies, and watch him go on an egg hunt. Well, I got my wish!

Yesterday afternoon, I went up to Broomfield and picked Sawyer up from Allen and Jocelyn, which resulted in no tears (yay!) - a major accomplishment in my book! I sold him on the road trip by telling him that we were going to Nana's house and he was happy as could be to be going to see Nana.

Until he fell asleep in the car.

When we arrived in Littleton 45 minutes later, he woke up and realized Mommy and Daddy were no where to be found and that was not ok. MELT-DOWN!

Mom flew to the rescue and set a bunch of toys in front of him and then we both walked away. Five minutes later, he was dragging a toy behind him with a bit of a wet face, but he was no longer crying. Whew!Mom had made 18 hard-boiled eggs so he and I began to color the eggs, which was a lot of fun. He was very proud of his eggs and wasn't shy about applying stickers all over them.

After we were done, we told Sawyer that we had to put the basket of eggs out on the front porch so the Easter Bunny could get them and hide the eggs at Sawyer's house. He and I took the basket out to the porch and he set his basket amid the flower pots. Twenty minutes later, after Mom grabbed the basket, Sawyer and I went out to see if the Easter Bunny had come to Nana's house. Sure enough, the basket was gone and Sawyer's hands flew to cover his mouth. I'd never seen eyes go so wide - or fill with crocodile tears - so quickly! I immediately started jumping up and down, clapping and yelling excitedly, "He came! He came!" Sawyer seemed to catch on and he too became excited that the Easter Bunny had hopped by Nana's house, but it took a lot of theatrics from Aunt Sarah!!

Last night, Mom, Susan and I took him to Ted's Montana Grill, where he chowed down on mac-n-cheese and goofed off with me. Then, we came back home and he and his aunties had a movie night with Peter Pan. He stayed up 2 hours past his bed time to watch the entire movie - he would not let us turn it off until it was over. Kinda cute. This morning, we woke up and Susan, Sawyer and I made a batch of sugar cookies. They weren't as fancy as the cookies we made last year, but they were still good and Sawyer seemed just as happy. The best part was watching him take selected bites out of certain cookies to see how different decorations tasted. The platter became littered with Sawyer's "half-eatens!"We eventually made our way up to Broomfield, where the adults quickly hid all of the eggs for the hunt. Sawyer came into the house and was beyond thrilled as he ran around collecting eggs, including those he made at Nana's house! He loved seeing his eggs at his house. I just loved giving the guy a little faith in the Easter Bunny!