
In the absence of a 10-day trip to Europe this year, I spent Memorial Day weekend in Denver and decided to put the money I would have spent on a vacation toward a series of purchases that I “needed”, including a massage, facial, laser treatment, watch, movie and new clothes. It was my own personal war against Recession Depression!
While I’m enjoying all of my treats, I’m now facing the reality that I blew through $700 in two days! How does this happen!?! This is exactly why I always make the argument that when I travel I actually save more than when I’m home! In my world, vacation = savings!

One big treat over the weekend was unloading Sawyer from Allen and Jocelyn so they could get some home projects completed. I love this stinkin’ kid – despite his irritation if, within the first 30 minutes that I’m around him, I so much as look his way and smile. Like every other man in my life, my presence and loving smiles merely set off a series of whiny cries and grumbles. His temporary irritation with me is only mirrored with my irritation at his new favorite word, “Mine!” It’s really a delight to hear “Mine!” every time I pick up anything that “belongs” to him, whether it’s a toy, jacket or stroller. I’m not sure how many times this weekend I grumbled, “Calm down”, but I know it was more than a few!

Mom and I grabbed the little guy on Saturday – thank goodness Nana was with me – and off we headed to the Denver Zoo. I hadn’t been to a zoo in more than 25 years, so it was fun for me to visit the animals and to do so with my nephew.


Sawyer ate up the whole experience – he was thrilled with the monkeys, scared of the gorillas, bored with the sheep and entranced by the bears. We also saw peacocks, snakes, orangutans, kangaroos and cheetas. He loved all of it and kept yelling “Bye!” whenever we left one exhibit to go to another. Mom and I kept asking him about the sounds each animal makes and like a good little puppet he performed every time with the requisite “Roar”, “Hsssss” or “Baaah”.

The big highlight of the zoo experience was the discovery that the zoo has a small locomotive train that takes passengers on a 3-minute circle around the zoo. As far as Sawyer was concerned, we had just discovered nirvana. We kept him to two rides and each one held him captive – there’s nothing like watching a little boy watch a train!
Before we back to Broomfield, we stopped by Nordstrom just to see what there was to see! Sawyer woke up from his nap just as we entered the store – it’s like he knew that we had just entered Aunt Sarah’s nirvana! – and we immediately discovered a pair of brown suede sandals that every little 24-month old boy needs. Ten minutes later, Nana was $30 poorer and Sawyer was the happy owner of new summer shoes.
We then took him over to the elevator and, honestly, the elevator was as exciting as the zoo. The discovery that a push of a button made doors open and close was just too much for him. He would burst out laughing and jump up and down when the doors opened and we were on a different floor. Mom and I couldn't get enough of him, so we did an extra ride just to see Sawyer's reaction!
Note to self: There's no need to spend money on toys for Sawyer when all I have to do is take him to the mall and throw him in an elevator for an hour!!