Monday, June 1, 2009

$30,000 and Counting



I questioned whether it could be done, but today I accomplished a goal I’ve had for YEARS! Today, I reached my goal of creating an emergency fund of $30,000. It’s taken me the better part of six to eight months, but I now have almost six months of salary and about eight months of living expenses. I have to acknowledge, I’m pretty darn proud of myself. I know in the scheme of things it’s not a huge sum of money, but it gives me a nice cushion if anything happens to my job or my living situation.

Since I’ve been living the homeless life for nearly two years, I’ve managed to pay off all my debt (minus my student loan), pay my full tithing and build an emergency fund. I now need to focus on saving about $10,000 so I can move into a new home, as well as another $10,000 for a “rainy day” fund, but I definitely see a light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm so glad I achieved this goal - and here's hoping I don't need to tap into the money anytime soon! I have to say that being debt-free and in control of a savings account has lifted a big weight off my shoulders and given me a sense of having options that I've never had before.

Now, off to build that 401(k)!