So, it’s the middle of summer, which typically means a season of television reruns and bad programming. Fortunately, network execs have seen the light and they’ve adjusted programming to supply quality TV all year round. Unfortunately, this means that I never take a break from my obsession with good TV!
Case in point: Friday Night Lights. I LOVE this show. I love its characters, I love its music, I love its plots, I love its spirit, I love its heart. Every episode pulls on my heartstrings and just makes me feel. It almost makes me want to go back to high school…almost.
Second show: Mad Men. I’m behind the bandwagon on this show as I’ve had to catch up on three seasons worth of shows, but man is it great TV. The characters are wickedly flawed, but so intriguing to watch. The show takes place on Madison Avenue in the early 1960s and the sexism and chauvinism is appalling. I’ll be watching the show with my mouth hanging open at the way the men treat and speak to the women. It honestly gives me a dose of “You’ve Come a Long Way, Baby.”
Final show: Rescue Me. I’m seriously behind the bandwagon of this seven-season show, but I’ve officially found my secret guilty pleasure. It’s a naughty cable show – lots of coarse language, locker room humor, sexual situations – that I shouldn't watch, but I can’t get enough. It’s about New York firefighters post-September 11 and the writing and situations are both hilarious and poignantly sad. I really shouldn’t watch the show because it is naughty, but it is oh so good. I honestly think it’s a toss-up between it and Mad Men as to which is the best show on TV.
Now that these shows are beginning their season wind-downs, it’ll be time for me to start focusing on the new fall line-up. Where will I find all of the time???