Sunday, February 7, 2010

Another Blast of Snow

When I was thinking about moving to D.C. last Fall, I kept thinking about how much I wanted to enjoy a really good winter with cold weather and snow. Well, I got my wish.

Another massive storm blew through Washington & Virginia this weekend, totally burying residents and shutting down services. When all was said and done, more than 2feet hit my neighborhood. Again.

I finally ventured outside on Sunday and began the long hard slog to unbury my car. After 90 minutes, I was finally able to touch my trunk. It's moments like this - when one is literally using a cookie sheet to move snow (more on this in a moment) - that one REALLY wishes she had an able-bodied husband!!!!!!!! I can deal with the oil changes, cable hook-ups and cross-country road trips on my own, but it really sucks to have to single-handedly dig a car out of 200 square feet of snow!!

Fortunately, my neighbor took pity on me and let me borrow his shovel. Again. He was generous with his shovel back in December, when we had our first 2+ feet of snow, and I was determined to have a shovel for the next blast. Unfortunately, my commuting to Pittsburgh and the rush for shovels left me high and dry. A cookie sheet was my only recourse against all that snow. And I call myself a Coloradan. What a humiliation!

Here's hoping this is our last winter blast. I hereby declare: "Bring on Spring!"